Thursday, May 6, 2010

Green Smoothie Recipes

Martin's been gone for about 10 days now, and I was 204 this morning. Yay! I've been drinking a green smoothie in the evenings to replace my supper. It's a nice nutritious one, so it's not like I'm not eating. I'm logging all my food diligently, and it's making a difference!

Smoothies are an easy way for me to get in my fruit servings, and by drinking "green" smoothies, I can sneak in extra servings of my green leafy vegetables. I feel like I'm getting a treat, and I've really discovered that I enjoy them. This week, I started trying milled flax seed in them and it thickens the smoothie really nicely, and I rather like the texture. It's probably not for everyone though! It adds healthy fats, fiber and protein to the mix.

Here's a recipe for one of my green smoothies (I use FROZEN fruits and veggies for all my smoothies, it's easier to just pour out what I want to use, and everything stays nice and fresh. Plus it makes for a nice cold smoothie):

PINEAPPLE/MANGO GREEN SMOOTHIE

1 cup collard greens
1/2 cup pineapple (about 6 chunks)
1/2 cup mango (about 6 chunks)
1 Tbsp Splenda
3 Tbsp ground/milled flax seed (optional)
1 1/2 cups water (can substitute milk for all or half for a creamy smoothie, good protein)

Dump everything into the blender and blend until smooth.
Calories 278
Fiber 15 g
Fat 11 g
Carb 35 g
Prot 9 g


PEACHY GREEN SMOOTHIE

1 cup turnip greens
1 cup peaches
1 Tbsp Splenda
3 Tbsp ground/milled flax seed (optional)
1 1/2 cups water (can substitute milk for all or half for a creamy smoothie, good protein)

Dump everything into the blender and blend until smooth.
Calories 246
Fiber 14 g
Fat 11 g
Carb 31 g
Prot 10 g

I use collards and turnip green interchangeably. They both are pretty mild in flavor, so they work really well in smoothies! Even 2 out of my 3 kids will help me drink these, especially the peach one! Yum. :)


1 comment: